Friday, May 9, 2008

Dog Attack...

So it's been a few weeks since I posted a new entry and I finally have the time to just sit down and write. First of all, April 27was our 5th year Wedding Anniversary. We had a nice dinner at the Melting Pot and exchange presents... Our big present to each other was a riding lawn mower; weird, I know! But now everyone in our house is happy; Tyler gets the yard done quicker and I am happy the grass is nice and short. We also decided to have a $20 budget for each other's presents to see what we could come up with... We are NOT the crafty type but ended up with really cute ideas. I made Tyler a wooden organizer for his cell, iPod, glasses, wallet, etc. He made me a picture frame in a purse shape which also works as a box to put things inside... hard to explain.

Now to the subject that has kept us busy, sad, and worried for the two week. Our dog, Jack, was attacked by the neighbors dog last Friday. I was getting ready to go to work, at around 7:30am, and let Jack out to "get busy" in the back yard, OUR fenced backyard. Jack is a pretty territorial type of dog and to prove it he goes #1 against the fence's boards on each side there's a dog next door. He knows there are big dogs at the other side so he pees and runs. Well, no such a luck this last time. I was standing at the back door watching him and called him to come inside when he was peeing against the fence when all of the sudden I saw in trying to pull back from the fence (like his leg got caught) and crying so I started running towards him when I saw him being pulled to the other side of the fence from underneath by the German Shepperd from next door.


Jack is a 13 pound miniature Schnauzer, when the other dog got him from OUR side of the fence unto his side one of the board of the fence fell on the ground and I was able to look into the neighbors back yard where I could hear Jack screaming, and saw the GS bite Jack and wouldn't stop. At that point the neighbors came out and tried few times to get the dog away from Jack but he kept coming back, until Jack fell in the pool and figured out that was the only place where he was safe and stayed at the pool step. I asked the neighbor if I could go around to get Jack out of the pool; run inside grabbed a towel and went to get jack out of the pool. Every time I tried to touch him he would scream cause something hurt; I finally put the towel under him and picked him up that way. He was shaking and bleeding so I rushed him to the Animal Hospital.


When I got to the hospital the doctor told me that he was going to wait until Jack came out of his "shock" and then check on him. He didn't say if Jack was going to make it; he just told me to leave my phone number and he would call me with updates. At around 10:00 am the doctor called me and told me they were not very successful checking all the injuries cause jack was STILL in shock and tried to bite them when they tried to touch the injuries. Then he said that one of the wounds was so deep that punctured a whole on Jack's stomach and he had to have surgery by the afternoon... still not saying if Jack was going to make it. "We'll do our best", he said. To make matters worse the dog bite had moved one of Jack's kidneys to his back and part of the surgery was to put the kidney back in its place and hope it all worked out.


Long story and lots of details... Jack was in ICU for three days with lots of pain killers and drugs to avoid infections all with an I.V as well as food and water. He finally came home Monday and it was really sad to see him walk around sleeping all the time and just not being himself. Here is a picture of jack when we went to see him at the hospital after his surgery... poor little guys was so druged that his tongue was sticking out and there was a puddle of drool under his face.
Thank God that Jack is doing a lot better now; he's home still taking antibiotics and pain killers depending on the day. We are now in "talks" with the neighbor who's dog attacked Jack. He doesn't feel like the attack was his fault because many dumb reason like: "dogs are dogs", "my dog thought your dog was a squirrel", "your dog came into my property", and others. We'll probably taking him to the Small Claims Court to get him to pay for the vet bill. I'll update on this issue as we progress... We have to take Jack to the Vet Wednesday to have the 15 staples on his belly removed. I have the feeling it won't be an easy task.


1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I never write or blog but I was trying to check my legal rights as I had a similar insodent last night. I only let my scotties out in my backyard when I am out there. my big fear has been that the new fence my neighbor put up is chain link but has a few spaces that are not fully to the ground. The dog next door got loose and attached a puppy that was being walked on a lease.I saw the shepard put his muzzle under the fence.Then my dog was disapearring right before my eyes. I threw myself on him as another dog sunk his teeth in his head. The shepard had him by the muzzle and I was holding him trying not to panic and rip his face. The 2 dogs were pulling me by my dogs face and yes I was bit also. I screamed for help at that point as I knew if they got him all the way through he was toast. My husband and son grabbed on and as we pulled the owners pulled their dogs off.I came inside and he had flaps of skin and multiple lacerations. his muzzle swelled up huge and there was blood in his eye sockets.He spent the night in an emergency clinic after surgery. They xrayed his head and muzzle for fractures. His face is a mess with drain tubes and tons of stiches and 1 eye is swollen shut.He has a big bell on and the drains are making a mess all over. We are watching for infection and he is on pain pills. He just cries and whimpers. My female who is newly with litter is freaked out as is my husband.My neighbor has not offered anything and is now out of town.I am waiting to see what happens later.
The fence was changed after the shepard bit the other dog. The old fence was old but nothing could get under it.My dog is very social and has never growled at another dog and goes to parks with me. I am self employed and drive alot so my dogs go with me. I am thankful that my dog will live but man is he suffering. I have my house listed and now I really want to move. I used to have large nordic breeds and this rescue shepard would bark at them all the time. He has been debarked twice.My big dogs did not like him.
I am not making any final decissions as I obviouly emotional right now. BUT the shepard has issues and the vet said once this happens , it will happen again. I keep my dogs in a kennel unless I am out there because I didnt trust the other dog. I would never trust children out there and am glad mine are adults and granchildren havent arrived yet. So much for the privacy of your own yard! I will decide later what course of action to take. My dog will need a lot of follow up care. I am concerned for my cats now too.I am glad your dog survived too.